April 15, 2015

Color Parade

I've been so busy dyeing yarn these last few weeks that I haven't even had a sec to write a blog post.  We had a fabulous time at the Carolina Fiber Fest this past weekend and I met so many friendly knitters and crocheters (mostly knitters)! I have to say "thanks" to everyone who bought yarn, project bags, stitch markers, and patterns from my booth--by Saturday afternoon I was pretty much cleaned out and that was nothing but awesome!

Did you see that I have a new yarn line? This is my absolute favorite EVER! It's called VELVET, and it's a 4-ply 20% alpaca / 60% merino / 20% nylon fingering weight. I may have to re-label my sock stash as "shawl stash" because I may never want to knit a pair of socks in anything else again! It's THAT fabulous!  And the fact that I am kettle dying this line in bright jewel tones is just an added bonus.  So, you'll want to stop by the shop and check these lovelies out right away. Here's a tease:

Little Pigs
Today is pretty jam packed with new listing duties and whatnot, so I'm just going to share a little parade of new Rocket Sock colorways with you and leave you to your drooling.

Lizard Lips

Poodle Skirt

Tea Cake

Soul Sistah

Salt Marsh
P.S. All of these eye-popping colorways are available in the shop right now!

March 18, 2015

Just to make things interesting

I'm spending this week working on some baby wear for the soon-to-be-open alpaca shop (i.e. alpaca yarn, alpaca clothing, alpaca fiber ... alpaca, alpaca, alpaca!) in Lavonia, GA.  I'm having difficulty getting enough knitting time between--and let's be honest, the husband is out of town so I'm just doing the minimum--household chores, putting in the first garden of the year, and running a business, and battling my newly arrived seasonal allergies (damn you neighbors' Bradford Pear trees!).  I have, however, worked up these two REALLY cute hats (pattern is Little Scallops by Maria Carlander) and have started on a third hat, which just might have a run-in with a book of matches turn out to be really cute, too.

Enter the DPNS.  If you've ever read my posts before, you know that these tools of Satan knitting needles are not my friends and that I am a circular needle gal all the way.  However, I decided that wouldn't it be cute if I worked up a couple brioche baby hats and reminded myself that knitting brioche in the round is much less taxing on the ol' brain and hands than knitting brioche flat.  And then there was the join.

Before today, I would have said that I am a master magician at the invisible join.  Before today, I had probably worked a bazillion invisible joins.  But today, no matter what I did or how many times I started again--and a girl can only start again so many times before she loses her marbles--I could not work up anything but a gigantic holy ladder.  So, not to be outdone by two strands of yarn, I went to the cabinet and unearthed a set of US 5 DPNs (Harmony by Knit Picks--I love Harmony needles!) and I began again.  Frick wouldn't you know it if it didn't work like a charm on the first go-around?!  So, I worked a few more rounds, and I was about to switch it all over to a circular needle when that little devil on my shoulder said "I double dog dare you to knit that entire hat with DPNS, just for kicks."  Double dog, folks.  So I'm thinking it over.  Meanwhile, I noticed that I just keep working in circles with those damned pretty DPNS.

Until I got to about 1.25 inches, and then I started to notice that I was having to pick up and re-work several dropped stitches.  Some sections looked a little wonky and there were places where I hadn't worked a strand at all.

So off the DPNs this hat came and onto a circular needle.  One hour and about 27 fixed mistakes later (just kidding, it was only 9), I am an inch further and completely back on track.

I guess the moral of this story is that DPNs are good for starting brioche in the round, but this girl just needs her circs.  The end.

March 17, 2015

Knitting is not just for Christmas

It's St. Patrick's Day again, and so I would like to remind you that you can make gifts for any holiday, not just Christmas or Easter, by reminding you of this pattern that I released last year about this same time.  This is my Bit 'O Luck colorwork hat pattern, and I don't know about you, but I'm rather fond of it.

The fabulous thing about this pattern is that it can be knit for sizes infant to adult, and the pattern tells you all about that.  You can find the pattern on Ravelry, Craftsy, and my brand new, very own yarn shop.  If you are a subscriber, well it's YOUR lucky day because my newsletter went out this morning with a code for a FREE copy of this pattern from my Ravelry shop.  And, if you become a new subscriber to my newsletter during the month of March, you will get a code for a free pattern from my Ravelry shop (for this one, or any other one there).  The subscription form is at left.

So, happy St. Patrick's Day to you, whether you are Irish or not, and may your day be filled with luck and crafting!

Search This Blog


Share it